Friday, July 3, 2009

Dont Worry About SmoltzYet



Last night I saw a funny production of Neil Simon’s play “Rumors” at Salem State College. ; When I got out, I was hoping to catch the end of the game. ; As it turned out, the game was over, and it was no laughing matter. ; Smoltz had given up four runs alone in the first inning. ; The Red Sox bullpen was very shaky. ; And Jordan Zimmermann from the Nationals absolutely dominated the Red Sox through seven innings of work. ;

In those seven innings, Zimmermann gave up only 5 hits, a run, a walk, and 6 strikeouts. ; This guy is only 23 years old. ; I’m impressed and plan on following up on this guy, I hope he keeps doing this well (just not against the Sox). ;

Meanwhile, Red Sox pitching was just the opposite. ; After Smoltz was taken out of the game, Bard came in for an inning and gave up 2 hits, 2 runs, and a walk. ; I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: Bard should go back down to AAA for a month or two. ; I want to see him back in Boston in September, but right now I don’t think he’s ready. ; Following Bard was Saito, who also gave up 2 runs and 2 hits, one of which was a homer. ; But before any of this happened, Smoltz had gone 5 innings while allowing 7 hits, 5 runs, a walk, and striking out 5. ; ;

Continue reading "Dont Worry About SmoltzYet"